How do you treat DI?
- If hypernatremic, administer free water to correct hypernatremia by 6-12 mmol/L/day (faster if hypernatremia happened quickly and patient is symptomatic)
- DDAVP 1 ug sc or iv
- OR 10 ug intranasal
- OR 60-120 ug sublingual melt formulation daily to tid
- OR 50 (1/2 of 0.1 mg tablet) ug bid po
- Patient told to drink only when thirsty and to make sure they have breakthrough urination to avoid water intoxication
- If there is no thirst mechanism, fluctuation in weight can be used to determine correct dose of DDAVP and intake of water