What are the clinical features of scleroderma renal crisis? What subset of scleroderma patients is at higher risk of scleroderma renal crisis?
Clinical features of scleroderma renal crisis:
- Abrupt onset hypertension
- Progressive decline in renal function
- Acute retinal changes of hypertensive crisis
- Microangiopathic hemolytic anemia
- New onset proteinuria
- Oliguria or anuria
- Flash pulmonary edema
- Characteristic kidney biopsy
The highest risk for scleroderma renal crisis is in those with the diffuse subtype of scleroderma. They are most vulnerable within the first 5 years of disease, particularly while skin changes are progressing.